
St. George’s Church
Bažnyčios gatvė 1, Žasliai, Kaišiadorių r.
Pictures
Description
The church in Žasliai was built around 1460. It is believed to be standing on a mound formerly known as the Pajauta grave. The parson Kazimieras Kibelis built the present brick church with parishioners in 1897-1902. In 1905, at Easter, there was a fight in the churchyard between Polish and Lithuanian parishioners, who did not agree on the language of public worship. In 1915, during the battles, projectiles pierced two holes in the walls of the church, destroyed towers and smashed glasses of all windows. The traces of bullets are still visible on the west side of the church. The first Mass of the ordained priest, the future Cardinal, Vincentas Sladkevičius was held on 25 March 1944. The ingress of the bishop of Kaisiadorys Juozapas Kukta took place in St. George’s Church in 1926, as the construction works of the Kaišiadorys Cathedral had not been completed yet. After this event, the Kaišiadorys diocese started functioning in practice. Juozapas Stakauskas (1900-1972), a historian and priest, is buried in Žasliai.
Map
Distance from your mobile device to the object: