
Vilnius Gate of Dawn
Aušros Vartų g. 14, Vilnius
Pictures
360
Description
The gate which now the Chapel of the painting of the Mother of Mercy was first mentioned in 1514 and is called the Medininkai Gate. Nobody knows since when they were called in Lithuanian called “Gates of Dawn” and why the “Dawn”. Perhaps this name of the gate came from the image of St. Mary as the “Star of Dawn”. In his first encyclical, Pope Pius XI, a great friend of Lithuania, mentioned the painting of the Gate of Dawn in 1929. He appointed the canon Teofilius Matulionis as bishop and later called him a hero when he met him. The bishop Teofilius Matulionis himself extremely cherished the title of the Mary Mother of Mercy and even distributed the novena of the Mother of the Divine Mercy in his letters. The Blessed Teofilius visited the Gate of Dawn several times, praying at the image of the Mother of Mercy. Several such trips are documented by his biographers. As soon as he returned from the Holy Land in 1936, the Blessed visited his brother’s family who lived in Vilnius and held a mass at the Gate of Dawn to grace the famous image of Our Lady in thankfulness for a happy life. In 2017, the relics of T. Matulionis were brought to the wake of the care of the Mother of Mercy of the Gate of Dawn, to the side chapel of St. Therese Church. Believers could pray and ask for graces for themselves and their loved ones at the reliquary in the shape of a sarcophagus.
Audio guide
Map
Distance from your mobile device to the object: