
The Grave of the priest Dr. Juozas Stakauskas (1900-1972) in the churchyard of George’s Church
Bažnyčios gatvė 1, Žasliai, Kaišiadorių r.
Pictures
Description
During the German occupation, J. Stakauskas preserved the old archive documents. He hid and saved a dozen Jews. After the war, he was a priest in Gelvonai, Kazokiškės, and in 1957, after buying a house in Žasliai (Vilniaus str. 64), moved to live there, he became an altarist of the Žasliai church. When he was a parson of Gelvonai, he was followed by the KGB but avoided repression. He was a professor at Kaunas Priest Seminary (taught church history, Russian and German languages) from 1959to 1970 and, for a time, he was a parson in Krivonys. By the decree of the President of the Republic of Lithuania of 14 September 1995, he was awarded the Life Saving Cross. His manuscript legacy consists of 15 volumes of unpublished writings (“The History of Žasliai Parish”, a two-part work (2500 pages) “The History of the Catholic Church”, biographical descriptions of Bishop Juozapas Kuktas, Archbishop Teofilius Matulionis, etc.).
Map
Distance from your mobile device to the object: