
St. Antanas Paduvietis Church in Daugailiai, Utena district
55.589628, 25.836992
Video
Pictures
360
Description
The predecessor of the Daugailiai Church was originally a branch of the Dusetos filial church. The first mention of Daugailiai church is in 1658 (metric books were written since then). The church has the forms of folk architecture, with Baroque features. The church was still fixed as Dusetos filial church in 1744; the church is built on Daugailiai mound. It was served by a Franciscan monk. The church was rebuilt in 1766, but in the same year the church was struck by lightning and it burned away. In 1852, a new church was built. In 1883, under the care of Antanas Rumševičius, a parson of Dusetos, the church was rebuilt and enlarged. Near Daugailiai, in Purviniškės village, Teofilius and his family lived there from 1880 to 1890. Unfortunately, the homestead is no longer exists. While living in Daugailiai, Teofilius Matulionis matured to the vocation for the priesthood. In the churchyard of Daugailiai church, the gymnast Teofilius Matulionis met his first teacher, the clergyman Juozas, during the holidays, telling him how impressive the Roman Catholic Church of St. Virgin Mary standing out on the Hill of the Sanctuaries in Daugavpils, was trying to guess the mystery of the priesthood out of the glare of an older friend. Jurgis Matulionis, having understood the inspiration of his 18-year-old son to study at the Seminary, encouraged him: “Go”. In 1891, an elder Kazimieras Sabaliauskas convened a farmers’ meeting in which 169 participants resolved to exempt Teofilius Matulionis from all social obligations and taxes and not to obstruct him. However, when Teofilius entered Vilnius Priest Seminary, an unexpected obstacle arose: his certificate contained no Latin language, and the Petrapiliai Priest Seminary does not even look at the type of certificate the candidate has – real or classical gymnasiums – so the path leads there.
Audio guide
Map
Distance from your mobile device to the object: