
Merkinė Church, Varėna district
54.161982, 24.184464
Video
Pictures
360
Description
A wooden Jogaila-founded St. Nicholas Church was built in Merkinė in 1387. Seven years later, the church burned down. It is believed that the prayer house burned down when the Lithuanians burned down Merkinė Castle, withdrawing their troops for the defence of Vilnius, or when it was burnt down by the Crusaders. In 1392, Jogaila founded the Merkine Parish. Historians mention that the church in Merkinė was built from a fortress, and one of the legends testifies that it was a newly built former St. Nicholas Parish Church, which received a new title – a church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The bishop of Kaišiadorys Jonas Ivanauskas handed over the relic of the Blessed Teofilius Matulionis to the Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary on 21 January 2018. At the beginning of the Mass, a relic was carried by the Monsignor Dr. Algirdas Jurevičius; it was placed in front of the altar. During the sermon, the bishop spoke about the significance of the blessed Teofilius to the church of Lithuania and urged everyone to establish an inner spiritual connection with the Blessed One. After St. Mass, the relic of the blessed Teofilius was placed on the altar. The parson of Merkinė, the dean priest Dr. Robertas Rumšas led the Blessed Teofilius litany prayer, after which the bishop blessed the relic and handed it over to the parson of Merkinė. A certificate attesting the authenticity of the relic was also handed over. By procession, the relic was removed and placed in the side altar of the Blessed Jesus Heart. Specially designed ceramic glass protection will always allow the faithful to see the relic more closely and to cry out for the blessing of the blessed Teofilius. At the end of the ceremony, “Blessed Teofilius, pray for us” unanimously sounded in the church.
Audio guide
Map
Distance from your mobile device to the object: